[JSR308] Block Annotations Suggestion

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Wed Oct 3 16:11:23 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Eduardo Born wrote:

> My first suggestion is to have a block annotation syntax, so a
> single annotation can be applied to a group of elements.

Block annotations have been proposed before, although not for the
same purpose as you suggest. There have been suggestions to make code
blocks annotatable to simplify concurrency expressions, enforce read-
only access, or provide an alternative mechanism of loop/statement
annotations. Some of that is mentioned on the JSR-308 Statements wiki
(do a search for "block"):

http://doc.ece.uci.edu/mediawiki/index.php/JSR-308_Statements

You can also find past discussion on block annotations in the
archives of this list.

> As a senior Java developer, I frequently write my own annotations,
> and that syntax would make my life easier.

I suppose it would be a nice syntactic sugar kind of thing, but I'm
much more interested in changes that make annotations more usable,
such as allowing them on loop blocks.

Trevor