[JSR308] Others possible syntaxes for type annotations

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Thu May 17 06:21:33 EDT 2007

Eugene Kuleshov a écrit :

>  I am not sure if type aliasing is either a good idea or in scope of
> the JSR 308. Though it is been considered a bad idea to add new
> keywords to Java language, including "typedef" or "syntax".
These keywords can be local (i.e only active at some point of the grammar).
I think gilad bracha has proposed a syntax equivalent to typedef but
more java-like,
something like:
import java.util.List<String> as StringList;

based on the fact that import is already a kind of type aliasing.

So if type annotation are prefixed, the syntax could be
import <T> @NonNull T as T!;

Anyway, it will transform you code to an unreadable mess for someone
accustomed to use
other type aliases than yours.

>  As for alternative syntaxes, I spoke to Neal Gafter at the JavaOne
> last week and he explained his idea for non-ambiguous syntax for
> annotations to me. He was planning to send his proposal along with
> Java language grammar changes to this list.
>
>  regards,
>  Eugene
cheers,
Rémi