[JSR308] Others possible syntaxes for type annotations

Eugene Kuleshov eu at javatx.org
Fri May 18 19:03:10 EDT 2007

Michael Ernst wrote:
> Discussions of where the type qualifiers might be written are fine, though
> we should remember that the larger a proposed syntax change, the less
> likely it is to be adopted.

  Michael, I haven't tried to create grammar for the syntax implemented
in the current prototype, but for grammar change for proposal based on
extending meaning of generified types <> like Maxim suggested seem quite
small and unambiguous. It would be interesting to hear more opinions
about such grammar change.

  Once again, the basic idea is to use syntax like this (or with
Annotations production before the ">")

TypeArguments:
       <[Annotations] TypeArgument {, TypeArgument} >
TypeParameters:
       <[Annotations] TypeParameter {, TypeParameter} >
BasicType:
     RawBasicType [<Annotations>]
RawBasicType:
     ...   // current content of the BasicType production

  regards,
  Eugene