[JSR308] Hello, and a comment

Neal Gafter gafter at google.com
Tue Jan 30 18:51:39 EST 2007

Just joining the discussion and mailing list, I'd like to introduce myself:
Neal Gafter from Google. Please pardon me if I ask dumb questions, as I
haven't been listening.

I read the draft spec (and an earlier version), and it seems much more
complex than it needs to be to accomplish its goals.  The simplest syntax
would be to annotate a type by placing the annotation after the type. This
works for arrays, arrays of arrays, return types, argument types, etc
without any ambiguity with existing syntax. The selected syntax, on the
other hand, does have ambiguities that require special-casing many contexts,
such as arrays. Perhaps there is some motivation for the current syntax that
I'm missing.