[JSR308] Hello, and a comment

Eugene Kuleshov eu at javatx.org
Tue Jan 30 19:01:47 EST 2007

Neal Gafter wrote:
> Just joining the discussion and mailing list, I'd like to introduce
> myself: Neal Gafter from Google. Please pardon me if I ask dumb
> questions, as I haven't been listening.
>
> I read the draft spec (and an earlier version), and it seems much more
> complex than it needs to be to accomplish its goals.  The simplest
> syntax would be to annotate a type by placing the annotation after the
> type. This works for arrays, arrays of arrays, return types, argument
> types, etc without any ambiguity with existing syntax. The selected
> syntax, on the other hand, does have ambiguities that require
> special-casing many contexts, such as arrays. Perhaps there is some
> motivation for the current syntax that I'm missing.
  Hi Neal. I've send a note about ambiguity of the array annotations
this morning. I've suggested suggested to put annotations before
annotated type. You can find it in the mailing list archive at
https://lists.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/jsr308/2007-January/000044.html

  I am also wondering if there was special motivation for chosen syntax
and hope that Michael can answer that.

  regards,
  Eugene