[Checkers] Eclipse Plug-in

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 19 20:46:32 EDT 2008

Hi Adam,

I just had a chance to go through your plug-in.  I finally got it to
work, after having some hiccups.  Unfortunately, it took me an
extended period of time to get to work.

Here are my notes from the experience (some are related to the plug-in
itself, and some are about using eclipse).

My goal of this afternoon was to get the plug-in to work on my Mac
using Java 5.

::Technical Eclipse issues::
The plug-in was importing the checkers.jar and had references to it in
Run*CheckerActions.  This required checkers.jar to be Java 5
compatible.  After looking at the code, I realized that only the name
was necessary; once I made that change, I was able to remove that
dependancy, and have the plug-in work in my eclipse.

::Experience with working with the plug-in::
1. The plug-in tries to find checkers.jar through the classpath of the
project.  I found that to be a bit annoying.
- When a project imports checkers.jar, it needs to import javac.jar
too; because of checkers.jar dependancy on javac.jar.  I don't
particularly like that.  The proper solution for this one is to
distribute a jar with the qualifiers only to be used by eclipse
projects.
- Also, when using eclipse, I prefer using the commented out
annotations (e.g. /*@Interned*/) and using jsr308_imports flag.
checkers.jar doesn't need to be in the path in that case.

2.