[JSR308] A simple proposal for recursive annotations

Dr. James J. Hunt jjh at aicas.com
Tue Jun 16 12:12:43 EDT 2009

Dear Jonathan,

The idea of the recursive annotation proposal was not to make "the
annotation language to be significantly more sophisticated than the
annotated language."  Currently, the annotation language is quite weak,
so the proposal would add a bit of expressive power to annotations.

The idea is also not to define a "programming language within program
language" as the other poster suggested.  The whole idea of a
specification language for formal verification was just an example of
what could be done with a simple extension for subtypes and recursion in
annotations.  The formulation of such a language would be a subject for
another JSR.

Note that one can already nest one annotation in another:

public @interface A
{
  public B value() default @B;
}

public @interface B
{
  public int value() default 0;
}

Just not recursively:

public @interface A
{
  public B value() default @B;
}

public @interface B
{
  public A value() default @A; // Error due to cycle
}

So nested annotations is not the same thing.

There are really only two changes being proposed: enable single
inheritance among annotations and allow indirect recursion within
annotation definitions.  With these two facilities, one could write much
more powerful type refinement systems, without much additional
complication to the annotation syntax.

In the language, one would need to allow for extends in @interface
statements; the circular annotation check would have to be modified a
bit; and a reference for the parent annotation would be needed in the
class file.  These issues are best delt with once one has implemented
the changes.

As for using Java syntax for annotations, that is perhaps desirable, but
more difficult to implement.  You example is too short for me to see if
what you intend would work for a specification language.  It would be
nicer to write something like

@Spec("\require i >= 0 && i < a.length();
       \ensure \result == elements[i];")

instead of

@Spec(require = [@Eval(value = ">=",
                       args = [@Value("i"), @Int(0)])
                 @Eval(value = "<",
                       args = [@Value("i"),
                               @Invoke(value = "length",
                                       args = [@Value("a")])],
      ensure = [@Eval(value = "==",
                      args = [@Result,
                              @Element(value = "elements",
                                       index = @Value("i"))])

but parsing this in downstream tools, i.e. tools that no longer have
access to the source code, would be challenging in practice, since the
parse context of the expression would no longer be available.

The advantage of the second form is that the parsing is done by the
annotation parser.  All new constructs are defined in a consistent manor
via annotation definitions.  No changes need to be made to the tools.

That is not to say, that one could not have a preprocessor that converts
the first form into the second at the source level.  In fact, that would
be possible with this proposal, but JSR 308 does not have to define such
a parser.  One could even use annotations on the annotations to help
build the the preprocessor.

Using Java like syntax as you propose does not address the issue of
subtype refinement either.  There are interesting uses for numerical
calculation checking when one can tag the units used and understand
their relationship.  For example, if @Meter and @Square are both
subtypes of @UnitExpression, then one could check things like whether
the cast below is correct or not, even at the byte code level.

public @Unit(@Square(@Meter)) int area(@Unit(@Meter) int length,
                                       @Unit(@Meter) int width)
{
  return (@Unit(@Square(@Meter)) int)length * width;
}

Mixing units would be easy to catch.

Remember, that adding this feature does not force you to use it in your
code, but it does enable useful features for software verification.

Sincerely,
James

--
Dr. James J. Hunt      * CEO aicas group       * Tel: +49 721 663968 22

aicas incorporated
69 West Rock Ave.      * New Haven, CT 06515   * USA
http://www.aicas.com   * Tel: +1 203 676 9807  *

Business Filing Number: 0002879819, State of Connecticut
President: Dr. James J. Hunt, Secretary/Treasurer: David P. Reddy

aicas --- allerton interworks computer automated systems GmbH
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * D-76131 Karlsruhe     * Deutschland (Germany)
http://www.aicas.com   * Tel: +49 721 663968 0 * FAX: +49 721 663968 99

USt-Id: DE216375633, Handelsregister HRB 109481, AG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Dr. James J. Hunt