[JSR308] A simple proposal for recursive annotations

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Jun 8 12:22:12 EDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 11:11 PM, Jonathan Aldrich wrote:
>>> (because the annotations in the static checking system may be
>>> parameterized in different ways than Java type parameterization).
>> I admit this strikes me the same way as it struck an earlier
>> poster.  It looks like a bad trajectory for the annotation language
>> to be significantly more sophisticated than the annotated language.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't proposing anything more than just the ability to
> build up annotations recursively, like any recursive data structure
> in Java. It turns out that's enough to encode parameterization in
> annotation-based type systems.  If you thought I was proposing
> adding "native type parameters" to annotations, well, that would be
> interesting but as you say is clearly outside the scope of the JSR.

> For examples of where you might want to encode "annotation
> parameters" in different places in a library than already have type
> parameters, see my earlier message to the list.

I presume you are talking about this thread from October:

https://lists.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/jsr308/2008-October/000487.html

I have now read the above message.  I thought a few days ago that you
meant some form of self-referential annotations.  Instead, you seem to
be talking about allowing annotations to be used in places where
literals are currently required.  I might have chosen "nested
annotations" to avoid the self-referential connotation, but let's go
with recursive.  Indeed it's a narrower scope than I realized.
However, my conclusion is the same.  Let's dig in.

I agree with you that there is a welcome expressiveness increase in
what you describe.  The examples you give remind me strongly of recent
ETHZ work on "universe" types, and that work certainly benefited from
Scala's analogous features.  However, I still think a language is
better served if its annotation language reuses the core language's
expression language rather than designing its own.  The main benefit
is one of orthogonality, although it also looks like less work.

First let's consider whether it's sufficient.  As far as I can tell,
using expression forms such as new expressions and array literals
would suffice for your use cases, just as they sufficed for the
Universe types group.  What do you think?  The recipe is
straightforward: imagine Java syntax to construct the type, and then
change the initial "new" to "@".

For example, here is a sequence based on an example from the October
email:

@OwnershipArgs({@Shared})    // recursive annotations
new OwnershipArgs(new Shared())  // run-time type
@OwnershipArgs(new Shared())  // expressions within annotations

I believe this example works out fine.  Can you think of examples
where the expressions approach would be problematic?

Sufficiency is not the only issue, of course.  Let's look at the two
you raise here:

>> If the annotation language seems too constraining, I would propose
>> what we did for Scala's annotations.  Specifically, Scala allows
>> arbitrary expressions to be embedded within the annotations.  That
>> approach keeps the annotations group from becoming a general-
>> purpose language design group, it allows a very general language of
>> annotations, and it provides synergy with the underlying language.
>> As one example of this synergy, someone designing an a set of
>> annotations can arrange that evaluating the embedded expression
>> would give a run-time representation of an equivalent type.
>
> That would be great, both in terms of expressiveness and a nicer
> syntax for saying complex things.  But I think it would also be a
> much bigger change than recursive annotations, which are uglier
> syntactically but can at least express what you want....

I have the opposite conclusions: the ones you propose are better
syntax, but take more work.  I wonder where we are not matching up in
our analysis?

For the quality of the syntax, I believe the October email is better,
especially for array literals.  However, it strikes me as ideally
something better taken up in the core language.  For example,  Java
could allow  "new Foo" if the constructor has no parameters.  Also,
Java could allow "{foo1, foo2}" as an array whenever the context makes
the array type clear.  Is the core language sufficiently stuck that
the annotations group is ready to vote no confidence on it and make
our own?

For the necessary amount of work, much of the appeal to me is to reuse
existing design work!  All that is needed for the expressions version
is to decide on how to pickle the information into class files and to
extend the API to give access to the information.  The October email
implies strictly additional work: designing the new syntactic forms
for annotations themselves.

Perhaps I can provide one clarification that I didn't mention in my
last email.  It is certainly not necessary to allow *all* Java
expressions.  In particular, drop anonymous inner classes.

>> All this said, it first seems important to accomplish 308's main
>> task of allowing annotations on types at all.  Extending the set of
>> annotations is a further step beyond the main scope, isn't it?
>
> There are a set of annotation expressiveness tweaks already in the
> proposal which are not directly "allowing annotations on types" but
> are supportive of that.  I'd put recursive annotations in that
> category, with the justification of encoding annotation
> parameterization and/or mimicking/shadowing the existing (recursive)
> structure of types in Java.  It's a judgment call--but my sense is
> that if we can figure out the details, this is a high-value addition
> and is as well in scope as other items in the current proposal.

My mistake.

Overall, I believe I now see what you are getting at with
expressiveness.  It still strikes me as a helpful finesse, though, to
reuse the core language's expression syntax rather than design a new
one.

Lex