[JSR308] An implementation of Subtyping for Annotations

Joseph Kiniry kiniry at acm.org
Fri Aug 21 06:37:13 EDT 2009

James, Michael, et al.,

I want to voice our wholehearted support for this effort, both from my
research group as well as in the larger community in which I work
including the JML community and the MOBIUS project.

Our existing verification efforts will be significantly enhanced if we
have the ability to embed specification languages into Java
annotations at the source and bytecode level, and such necessitates
the support for recursive annotations.  Subtyping of annotation types
I had always thought was a no-brainer, so when the initial annotation
support came out in Java5 I was quite surprised that it was missing.
Perhaps this gives us an opportunity to clean up quite a bit of the
design mess resulting from that decision.

In particular, if this functionality were to be adopted by JSR 308, we
plan on revising the MOBIUS bytecode subsystem[1], which is based upon
BML[2], so that, instead of using unused opcodes to encode structured
assertions (i.e., pre- and postconditions, invariants, etc.) in
bytecode (which causes problems across VMs and requires quite a bit of
infrastructure), we would instead use a revised subset of the JML
annotations we have already written for experimentation in writing JML
specifications with annotations[3].

Best,
Joe

[1] https://mobius.ucd.ie/trac/wiki/ByteCodeSubsystem