[JSR308] Creating new annotated types.

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 14 09:59:13 EST 2008

Greetings Niko,

> As an aside, sometimes it can be hard to keep track of
> all of the various classes full of helper methods that are floating
> around (Elements, Types, ElementUtils, TypeUtils, InternalUtils,
> AnnotatedTypes, ...).
This is a valid point.  For any operation on a type FOO (e.g. Element,
AnnotatedType), FOOUtils might have a method for the operation.
InternalUtils is the exception here and we are working on deprecating
it.

Any suggestions on how to help users track utility methods?  I have a
similar problem explaining how to find the useful classes in the JDK
to java new comers.

>> Besides preferring mutability,
Sorry that is a typo, it should have been 'preferring [im]mutability'.

> In fact, I would probably prefer if AnnotatedTypeMirrors were
> completely immutable, though the current mix of "mutable while being
> created then immutable by convention thereafter" seems to work out
> reasonably well.
We prefer immutability too.  Restricting the scope of setter methods
is a poor man's job for limiting mutability.  As I said earlier, once
we find a case for the flexibility of mutation, we'll relax these
scope constraints.

Regards,
Mahmood