[JSR308] Building on a Mac

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 23 12:53:37 EDT 2008

Has anyone successfully built the langtools or checker code on a Mac?
I am attempting to build against SoyLatte, but I am not sure if that
will work.  I'm not really clear on what the dependencies are: there
seem to be mentions of requiring OpenJDK 1.7, 1.6, and 1.5 at various
points, so I'm not really sure what version of the JDK is required for
what.

In any case, when I follow the instructions for building langtools
from source, I end up with a javac.jar file that contains only a
manifest and no actual classes.  The ant output includes such warnings
as:

       [jar] Warning: skipping jar archive /.../langtools/build/
bootstrap/lib/javac.jar because no files were included.

where ... is a lengthy pass that was omitted.

I have also attempted to load the NetBeans projects and build from
there, but they end up with the same error.  Any advice on what might
be causing this problem?

regards,
Niko Matsakis