[JSR308] New version of JSR 308 proposal is available

Michael Ernst mernst at csail.mit.edu
Mon Nov 12 14:35:21 EST 2007

I have just released a new version of the JSR 308 proposal.  I also don't
think that I announced the release of one last week (Nov 5), which is the
official EDR version, though we encourage people to comment on the most
current copy.  A summary of the changes in the two revisions appears below.
As always, you can find the proposal at
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/pag/jsr308/ .

JSR 308's Early Draft Review is not yet announced at
http://jcp.org/en/home/index, so we haven't yet had any comments on that.

                    -Mike

The changes to the normative section:

        * Make local variable info an array, to handle separate live ranges.
        * Change TYPEREF to TYPE_USE in ElementType enum.
        * Note that class file format ought to store the annotations for
          stack elements, much as is done with types to ease bytecode
          verification.

The changes to non-normative section:

        * Add new example of need for type qualifier annotations: ThreadSafe.
        * Fix type in comment describing meaning of example variables.
        * Note that JSR 198 can permit creating cross-IDE plug-ins. Mention
          need to update JSR 198 AST with respect to Java syntax changes.
        * Add further discussion of the two approaches to handling
          duplicate annotations at a single location.

Other editorial changes:

        * Re-organize Figure 1 (target_type table) to separate annotations
          that may appear on class/method/field declarations from those
          that only appear inside method bodies.