[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Fri Feb 2 23:23:00 EST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Hani Suleiman wrote:

>> @LoopMax(10)
>> while (i < j)
>> {
>> }
>>
>> That doesn't seem awkward at all.
>
> Sure it does. It's a redundant new syntax that doesn't achieve
> anything, and attacks a problem no developers are currently having
> (no matter what background they're from or their level of ability,
> I'd be surprised if anyone found basic looping constructs tricky).

I think you're confusing loop constructs with loop annotations. For
an example of how loop annotations are used, see Figure 3 here:

http://www.jopdesign.com/doc/wcet_jtres2006.pdf

Or the C code (annotations given in square brackets) at the bottom of
this page:

http://www.irisa.fr/aces/work/heptane-demo/user/node6.html

As you can see from these examples, loop annotations definitely
achieve something and attack a very important problem in static
analysis tools.

Trevor