[Checkers] Demo of checkers on April 14

Matt Papi mpapi at csail.mit.edu
Mon Mar 24 17:54:56 EDT 2008

> It would be nice if the demos used a GUI such as Eclipse.

For the OOPSLA demo, I spent several hours getting things set up in
Eclipse only to discover that many important Eclipse configurations --
bookmarks for jumping to a particular line of a file, run
configurations, window layout, etc. -- seem to be stored in binary files
in the workspace directory. Despite a couple of late nights, I was
unable to figure out how to move these settings across machines (tarring
the workspace and untarring it on the demo machine didn't work; File ->
Export doesn't have pertinent options), so I had to redo all (the hours)
of the Eclipse configuration the demo machine.

For the JUG demo, I simply used GVim's ":mksession" to snapshot the
editor's state for each part of the demo and had the whole thing working
smoothly and portably (though maybe not as prettily) in about 15
minutes. I'm sure a similar technique could be used for Emacs.

Does anyone know how to move Eclipse workspace configurations across
machines, or if it's even possible? If it's not, I can deliver Ant
scripts for running the checker, but the process of setting up Eclipse
may need to be done directly on the demo machine.

- Matt