[Checkers] JSR 308 Plug-in

Adam Kiezun akiezun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:13:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Michael Ernst <mernst at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Mahmood-
>
>  Mahmood>  Has Adam developed a
>  Mahmood>  JSR308-conforming parser for the eclipsec?  What does it support?
>
>  Adam> no, I developed a plugin that calls out to JSR308 compiler, parses the
>  Adam> output and fills the eclipse problems view with the error marks.
>  Adam> Because eclipse cannot swallow the JSR308 annotations yet, it works
>  Adam> best if you use the comment-style annotations.
>
>  If you want to try Adam's tool and give him feedback, that would be great.
>  I'm leaving town on Friday and it's not certain whether I will be able to
>  try it myself, as I'm very far behind on many tasks right now.  I know that
>  a user here is very eager to use Adam's plugin, but I don't want to ask him
>  to try it until someone in our group has.

Right, it's better to iron out a bunch of bugs first (of which I'm
sure there's plenty)
The current state is very preliminary. Just enough is implemented that
the simple examples from the distribution work.
If you want to try it, point your eclipse update manager to:
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/pag/jsr308/eclipse/

Extending the plugin with functionality such as nice error explanations,
hooking up the checkers as a builder so that checking happens as-you-save,
making the plugin extendable so that installing a new checker is a
matter of installing another plugin that plugs into this one,
etc, etc,
is I think a nice UROP project, BTW.

/adam