[JSR308] Stub files?

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 29 11:50:37 EDT 2008

Hi Niko,

> The checkers manual includes a detailed description of stub files,
> including a tool for generating stub files.  However, when I attempt
> to use a stub file with javac I get back an error message:
Actually, the manual had a typo and '-stubs' should have been '-
Astubs'.  I will correct it.

> If and when they are implemented, is there a plan to allow a
> "stubpath" (similar to sourcepath) that would point at a directory
> full of stub files?
This is a reasonable feature request.  We are considering this, and
hopefully it will be in soon.

> Another interesting feature would be the ability to union together
> multiple stub entries for different, independent checkers.
We have not considered this, but it's worth looking into.

> I realize that the existing checkers use the "-sourcepath" technique
> for annotating the standard library, but the manual made it sound as
> though that was undesirable.

Yes, this is true.  Unfortunately, our stub parsing implementation
requires some optimization to be able to handle the entire JDK.

Regards,
Mahmood