[JSR308] Checkers in the future on different JDKs

Adam Warski adam at warski.org
Mon Sep 29 10:43:54 EDT 2008

Hello,

>> You are correct:  A checker written using the Checker Framework
>> currently
>> only works as a plug-in to Sun's javac.  The checker does not work
>> with
>> other Java compilers that don't implement Sun's proprietary Tree API.
>
> I should have also mentioned that if you are using a different
> compiler,
> you can still run javac for performing pluggable type checking.  For
> instance, the Checker Framework Manual gives an Ant target that you
> can
> invoke from within Eclipse or other IDEs, or from the command line.
Yes, I noticed that.
I suppose a "typical setup" for using jsr308 would be to have the
jsr308-javac parallel with another java installation, and only use the
modified one for code-quality checks. The annotations would be written
in the comment form, to keep the code compatible with java5. Many
companies haven't still migrated from java4, not to mention java 6 or
7 :)

Adam