[JSR308] a problem with beans and annotations

Eamonn McManus Eamonn.McManus at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 24 08:18:09 EDT 2008

David,

There has never been any requirement for a JavaBean to have a field corresponding to each property.
So I think trying to introduce new semantics based on the type of that field would be too radical a
change.

RFE 6473468 <http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6473468> asks for a
PropertyDescriptor.getPropertyGenericType() method. I do not know what the plans for that RFE are,
but as noted in the Work Around (and in your message) you can often use
propertyDescriptor.getReadMethod().getGenericReturnType(). You can also use that technique to get
annotations on the getter method.

Since properties are often defined by a getter and a setter and there can be awkwardness if the
return type of the former is not exactly the same as the parameter type of the latter, and in
particular if the type annotations are not the same.

Regards,
Éamonn McManus · JMX Spec Lead · http://weblogs.java.net/blog/emcmanus/