[JSR308] Annotations in comments

Michael Ernst mernst at csail.mit.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:59:53 EDT 2008

Let me separately address annotations in comments, from a Java language
point of view and a JDK toolkit point of view.

Java language:

I don't support making annotations in comments an official part of the Java
language, which would force every Java compiler to parse comments.  That's
antithetical to the very notion of a comment!  It would also require that
every version of Java to forever support the syntax.  And, it would cause
some existing programs to no longer compile.

JDK toolkit:

The comment syntax may be very useful during the transition between Java 6
and Java 7.  Thus, the final Java SE 7 implementation may or may not
recognize annotations in comments.  I don't think anyone has made a
decision about this yet.