[JSR308] evaluating Java language changes

Eugene Kuleshov eu at javatx.org
Mon May 21 02:42:08 EDT 2007

  It seems like we already have several proposals for the Java language
grammar changes (and we may see more of them). So, I wonder how should
we evaluate each of those proposals? What characteristics should be
evaluated for each proposal? Probably the most obvious metrics are
obviousness, unambiguity and verbosity. What other metrics we can take
into the consideration?

  Michael Ernst also suggested to actually use the current prototype,
but this evaluation is tough because it is bound to specific use cases
and there isn't generic enough showcase that would allow to try most of
the grammar changes.

  Any other thoughts?

  regards,
  Eugene