[JSR308] Others possible syntaxes for type annotations

Maxim Kizub mkizub at gmail.com
Thu May 17 03:04:33 EDT 2007

The proposition was about using uniform syntax for type parameters and
annotations.
In this way type annotation syntax IS non-ambiguous, uniform and
logical. Compare
1) @A String @B string;
2) @A String<@B> string;
The case (1) has strange reading rules, because it looks like (@A
String) (@B string), but must be read as @A (String @B) string.
In contrast, in case (2) it's obvious, that @B belongs to type String,
not to the variable.

Postfix type operators and syntax imports are syntax sugar, which proved
to be very continent for me.
If you want to use type annotations, there will be a few very often used
(like @NonNull or @CheckNull) standard
annotations, and a few project-specific (some projects will actively use
@Immutable types, some will need
@NonNLS or @Interned strings and so on). Instant repetition of these
annotations will make the code unreadable,
and postfix type operators will fix this problem (because there will be
not too much annotations for types in a
concrete program). And the problem does exist, otherwise we would not
use [] type operator
for arrays (and * & type operators in C++), but were satisfied with
Array<Array<int>> instead of int[][].

If you don't want to add new keywords to the language, it's possible to
reuse old keywords. Like

for type? do type<@CheckNull>;
or
@class type?  instanceof  type<@CheckNull>;

and so on. And since JSR 308 needs to change Java syntax - making the
syntax convenient and readable is in scope of the JSR.

PS Programming language syntax and keywords must correspond to its
current state. In russian alphabet during last centuries
a few letters were removed and added. Thanks to these changes, russians
currently have alphabet which allows to write
words as they are pronounced. Unlike english. ;)
For example, type/method modifiers like "native", "synchronized",
"strictfp" and all others are, in fact, annotations (which must be
supported by all java compilers and JVMs), and shell be replaces with
"@Native", "@Synchronized", "@StrictFP" and so on,
to reflect latest language changes. But this is really not the scope of
JSR 308.