[JSR308] Resolution of optimization issue

Neal Gafter gafter at google.com
Mon Jun 4 13:33:57 EDT 2007

I am more concerned with annotations in places that don't directly
correspond to instruction locations in the byte code for one reason or
another. Examples include annotations in dead code ("if (false) ..."), or
annotations on types used as qualifiers. It doesn't make sense for a
specification to require that these annotations be "preserved" without
providing a place for them to be preserved to.

To put my concern another way, instead of making the informal statement that
a compiler is required to preserve annotations (to where?), the
specification should provide an extension of the reflective and mirror APIs
for accessing annotations that have class file and runtime retention, and
require that these APIs "work" for annotations appearing in the source
language. That is a more precise and testable requirement. To implement the
requirement we will necessarily have to specify formats for storing the
annotations as well.

This is a general example of designing the language top-down rather than
bottom-up. We start with our goals. Then we specify a syntax and semantics
that satisfies those goals. Then we specify the technical details that are
required to implement the syntax and semantics. I feel we've skipped the
second step.

Regards,
Neal