[JSR308] Re: Backward compatibility for ElementType meta-annotations

Bill Pugh pugh at cs.umd.edu
Tue Jul 17 22:03:03 EDT 2007

It is a little more complicated than that. JSR-305 will be defining
meta-annotations that allow anyone to define their own type qualifier
annotations. Thus, even if Java 7 updates the annotations defined by
JSR-305, there will (hopefully) be third-party type qualifier
annotations that won't get updated, and that may have to be portable
across Java 5, 6 and 7 versions.

But, I'm not sure this is a big issue. What does the disambiguation
actually effect? What happens if you have an annotation that can be
applied to either a TYPE or a METHOD applied to a method. So long as
JSR-308 doesn't barf and complain that it is ambiguous, I don't think
it will be a problem.

Bill