[JSR308] Annotations on statements (and expressions?)

Tom Ball Tom.Ball at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 31 12:53:13 EST 2007

Let's get back to driving the spec via use-cases, and try to find a
balance between simplicity and completeness.  There is a big jump
between small enhancements to improve detection of common program errors
versus support for complete specification of program behavior.  For the
latter, I would recommend using a language like JML instead of Java, as
it looks very useful and well-designed.  Having a common platform like
the JVM should allow developers more freedom to choose the appropriate
language(s) for their projects, rather than locking them into a single
language superset.

In general, I think too many people focus on changing Java instead of
coming up with better alternatives.  The beauty of the JVM is that all
kinds of different languages can compile to it, or now with Java 6 can
be run via a scripting engine.  I am happy to support standardizing the
draft's definition of new JVM class file attributes to enhance its
support for alternative languages, but am very reluctant to support
extending the Java language to the same degree.

As you might suspect, this discussion is pushing a button in me from a
horrible project disaster.  I first joined Sun as a member of its new
CORBA platform.  Management saw a need for a better application
environment, so it acquired the rights to NeXTStep to run on top of our
stack.  NeXTStep is written in Objective C, so we worked with the gcc
folks to create a compiler that supported both languages.  But rather
than switch between pure C++ and pure Objective C source files, the
compiler combined both languages into a superset of the two so a
developer could mix and match the parts of each language at will.  While
both C++ and Objective C are fine development languages, this
superset-language caused complete chaos.  As soon as I could, I
transferred to Sun's FirstPerson team; its attraction was its pragmatic,
simple language and platform called Oak, which was later renamed to
Java.  I'd therefore like to keep the language true to its initial goal
of being a pragmatic application developer's first choice.

Tom