[JSR308] array-valued annotations

Perry James perry.dsrg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 15:25:49 EST 2007

Hi all,
   I've enjoyed the discussion the last few days, but it seems the arguments
have started going circles.  If we can reach agreement on how
one-dimensional array are to be treated, the case of higher dimensions
should take care of itself.  If not, it should at least be much clearer how
to proceed.

   Doesn't the question that we've been discussing boil down to, "Are the
reference to an array and the references to its elements the same thing?"  I
hope we'll all agree that they aren't.  So far, we are only able to declare
an array reference--but not its elements--as final.  Why are array elements
the only references in the language that we can't make final?
   Once nullity attributes are added to the mix, it will become very
desirable to annotate an array and its elements differently.

   Best regards,
   Perry

On 1/30/07, Ted Neward <ted at tedneward.com> wrote: ...

> That said, I still question the wisdom of varying the type (where by type
> mean type + the locally-declared annotations) within a jagged array
> declaration. Just seems to contravene the intent of how array declarations
> work in Java today.

==
Perry James
perry.james at computer.org