[JSR308] array-valued annotations

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Mon Jan 29 21:06:54 EST 2007

I think you're both arguing past each other.

Pavel's correct, in that the array *itself* is an object, managed by the
JVM's memory manager in the same way that any other object is managed. The
thing that the programmer works with is, of course, the reference to the
object, just as it is in every other (non-array) case.

Matt's correct, however, in that Pavel's explanation below implies that a
multidimensional array is *not* a singular object, but an object which in
turn has references to other objects (the other arrays), which in turn have
references to objects, and so on. All of these references must be of the
type specified in the original (root?) type declaration (of Document, in the
examples we've been working with).

I think we're trying to decide if (a) an annotation on a local variable
declaration is part of its type signature, and (b) whether the "type" of an
array dimension in an array-of-arrays declaration can vary from one
dimension to another. Assuming (a) is true, then it would seem that the
language's actions are pretty clear here; for any declaration

T[] t;

then the associated array must contain only T (or type-compatible)
references. The programmer is clearly not allowed to change that--it is
inferred by the compiler. This rule is simply extended for arrays-of-arrays;
a declaration

T[][] t;

is in essence picked apart as

((T)[])[] t;

meaning that the outer rank is an array of T[] references, and the inner
rank is an array of T references. Nowhere are we allowed to change the type
T. If our intent is to follow precedent already established in the language,
then there is no precedent to allow us to vary the type of an array within
its dimensions.

Assuming (a) is false, and that the annotations are not part of the type
signature, then we're in basically the same spot as "final" (that is, the
annotation is effectively another modifier, of the same category as
"final"); does Java allow us to specify "final" on inner dimensions of a
jagged array declaration? My understanding is that it does not, but I've
never tried, so I can't be certain.

Usefulness aside, I don't see how we can support this without requiring a
language change, and that's clearly out of the scope of the charter.

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com