[JSR308] Re: Classfile representation of annotations

Eugene Kuleshov eu at javatx.org
Sat Feb 3 17:36:18 EST 2007

Neal Gafter wrote:
> Both compile-time verification (of annotations) and annotations as
> part of the interface don't require annotations be preserved in the
> bytecode.
  Neal, those are not the only use cases we are dealing with. Annotating
implementation does open new possibilities for advanced analysis and
declarative programming. Doug Lea also gave a good example of such
application.
> By bytecode here I don't mean class files, but the part of the class
> file representing the body of a method.  In other words, section 4
> cites use cases that support changes to the class file format, but
> don't support anything in the class file format to represent anything
> in the interior of methods.
  Are you suggesting that developer should extract code that would
requite special metadata for analysis or post processing into a separate
methods or classes?

  Even if we will ignore suggested examples of the worst execution time
analysis and other applications, such approach probably going to work
for the statically bounded code, including the closures. But it is far
from great if decisions need to be made at the execution time. So, we
are facing a hard coding ahead of time, when developer is forced to
characterize his code based on some assumptions or results of profiling
vs. more lightweight declarative approach for allowing jut-in-time
decisions.

  regards,
  Eugene