[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Fri Feb 2 19:32:27 EST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 3:36 PM, Brian Goetz wrote:

> Statements of the form "I don't need annotations on everything, I
> just need them on X" begs to dance down the slippery slope;
> different constituencies will have different visions of X, and we
> end up with X, Y, Z, and Q, and THEN another JSR to add everything
> else...

It looks like you're arguing that JSR-308 should not go as far as
allowing annotations on loops (and possibly other statements). If so,
please look at the ballot results:

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=4026

Note that every one of the voters who added comments voiced their
desire for extending annotations to loops, blocks, and perhaps local
variables, as well.

If this is a slippery slope, it's one that the Executive Committee
(and others on this list) feels is worth treading.

Trevor