[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:55:30 EST 2007

Neal Gafter wrote:
> I think the right way to design a language with a general annotation
> facility is to support (or at least consider supporting) a way of
> annotating every semantically meaningful nonterminal.

No argument. We don't have that luxury. Instead we face the choice of:

1) Once and for all, either come up with a way to support each
construction or declare that it cannot (or should not) be done.

versus

2) Face a continuing stream of JSR proposals, each providing a
solution to one lacking in the previous annotation-related JSR.

When I asked myself this in these terms, my reluctance
to face these issues evaporated. And the option is within stated
scope.

-Doug