[Jsr308-statements] Dealing with compiler optimizations

Gary T. Leavens leavens at cs.iastate.edu
Sun Mar 4 01:07:17 EST 2007

Hi Trevor,

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> In an earlier email [1], Mike made a good point about compiler optimizations:
>
> "You need to discuss how you will handle compiler optimizations that may
> reorder, duplicate, split, or move (parts of) statements. This is one of the
> key technical challenges, in my view."
>
> This issue has been discussed peripherally on the main JSR-308 list, but we
> should deal with it here directly. How should we address it? What possible
> solutions are there?
>
> As we already know, several other tools (e.g., JML) already support statement
> annotations via a proprietary mechanism. Does anyone know how these tools
> handle compiler optimizations? Maybe we can borrow one of their solutions for
> the proposal.

As far as I'm aware, the JML runtime assertion checking compile at
least doesn't put the annotations in the class files, and so doesn't
help with this issue.

> Trevor
>
> [1] https://lists.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/jsr308-statements/2007-
> March/000030.html

         Gary T. Leavens
         Department of Computer Science, Iowa State University
         229 Atanasoff Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1041 USA
         http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~leavens  phone: +1-515-294-1580