[Jsr308-statements] use cases for the annotations on code blocks and statements

Michael Ernst mernst at csail.mit.edu
Sun Feb 4 13:22:39 EST 2007

Let me follow up on only one minor item from Doug's excellent message:

> (An interesting and important further question that is
> usually swept under the rug is how to arrange that VMs can
> trust such annotations to provide better performance, fault
> detection, etc. Hard. Probably too hard to deal with in JSR308.)

This is explicitly out of the scope of JSR 308.  It's too hard an issue.  I
would love to see a new JSR that makes pluggable bytecode verification
possible, in much the same way that JSR 269 made compiler plug-ins
possible, but that won't be JSR 308.

                    -Mike