[Jsr308-statements] Re: Are loop annotations within scope?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Feb 3 10:53:25 EST 2007

Trevor wrote...

> But from the recent talk on the jsr308 list, my understanding is that
> several individuals, such as Doug Lea, feel that such constructs
> might not be appropriate for JSR-308.

I must have mis-written something, because I think nothing of
the sort! My only concern is exactly the same as Mike's --
actually doing it relies on successfully figuring out how
to integrate with the rest of Java. Which is hard to predict.
Maybe there will be too many intrinsic oddities and limitations
to make a strong enough case for it. Or maybe only a good
case can be made for the sub-optimal approach of limiting to a small
range of statement/block types.

Even in the case of failure, the underlying analyses
and proposals should be recorded for posterity, so we on the
JCP executive committee know enough not to pass further JSR
proposals to revisit this territory.

So, I'm hoping you all find some good way to do it.
I'm playing bystander on this though

-Doug