[Checkers] Annotation defaults and declarative specification of type hierarchy

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Thu May 21 23:54:31 EDT 2009

Greetings,

This is a very reasonable proposal for use of DefaultQualifier, and
should be doable easily.

> The meta-annotation really belongs on the checker
> itself (or on the command line that invokes the Basic Checker?) but
> could
> perhaps go on @NonPrototype.

I am more in favor having the DefaultQualifier be on the annotation
itself.  While I agree that functionally it's more associated with the
checkers, the qualifier provides a desired documentation about the
qualifiers.  I don't think anyone who is interested in the qualifier
hierarchy (which is described through the annotations) would be
interested in the default qualifier as well.

> (Speculation alert:  I wonder if it would be useful to have a
> @DisjointFrom
> annotation as well as a @SubtypeOf annotation.
I'll need to think about this for a bit.

Regards,
Mahmood