[Checkers] Getting started on immutability project

Michael Ernst mernst at cs.washington.edu
Mon Jun 1 16:20:31 EDT 2009

Let's meet at 9:30 on Tuesdays, June 23-August 18.  When we begin to meet,
we will add another weekly meeting.

We agreed that there are lots of interesting projects in the long term, but
that the best way to start in the short term is to annotate some
type-checkers (from the Checker Framework) themselves with immutability
annotations.  Since the IGJ checker itself is already annotated, annotating
the others may be relatively easy.

I mentioned that there were a number of resources (including two technical
papers that were presented at conferences) that can help you get started.
But I'm going to mention just one, and you can report whether you are able
to find what you want.  Here is the webpage for JSR 308 and the Checker
Framework:
  http://groups.csail.mit.edu/pag/jsr308/
Do not attempt to use the Javari checker for immutability; instead, use the
IGJ checker.

You have a unique perspective in that you are not already familiar with the
material, so your take on what is confusing or missing will be extremely
valuable.  Please be generous in your feedback, both to help improve the
system and to help you do the work you want to do.

If you have questions, you can always send them to this mailing list, which
contains the developers for the Checker Framework:
  checkers at lists.csail.mit.edu
I've copied that list on this email, too.

Welcome, and good luck!