[Checkers] Demo of checkers

Michael Ernst mernst at csail.mit.edu
Wed Mar 26 09:54:36 EDT 2008

Mahmood-

> Can you explain to me a little bit about what the demos are about?
> How is the audience and how long is expected to be (or at least the
> potential IGJ demo)?  What is the promise that you want to provide to
> the audience?

These are excellent questions!

The demos are for three venues:

 1. J-Spring, the annual meeting of the Netherlands Java Users Group.  It
 has over 1000 attendees and multiple tracks.  The audience is mostly
 industrial.

 2. Dagstuhl workshop on scalable program analysis.  (I would say that our
 system scales better than most academic systems!)  The audience is about
 50 people, mostly academics, from a variety of fields including compilers
 and software engineering.

 3. JavaOne conference in San Francisco.  Many thousands of attendees.  I
 may get a slot on the main stage, or I might just give hallway
 demonstrations -- this is currently being negotiated.

For all of these demos, one goal is to get developers (both industrial and
academic) to want to use our tools.  For the second, in the talk portion I
will also emphasize the research contributions (I will downplay those for
#1 and #3).  For the third, a definite goal is to give JSR 308 some
visibility and raise excitement.  (Getting developers using the tools
indirectly contributes to that goal, of course.)

                     Thanks,