[Checkers] @ReadOnly classes

Telmo telmo at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 25 22:35:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

Mahmood was talking to me the other day about the relation between class
annotations and method receiver annotations. I finally caught up on the
problem, when dealing with a test for this purpose: as of now,

@ReadOnly class ReadOnlyEmpty {}

generates an error, (receiver.invalid), because not every method on Object
has a @ReadOnly receiver. Most likely this change will be added to the
Javari checker only, unless the IGJ checker also needs it and we decide
that passing this kind of information from class annotations to method
receivers is common enough that should be included on the framework.

Namely, what Mahmood proposed, and makes perfect sense, is to add class
annotations to the receiver types of every method without receiver types.

I am still not clear on the allowances for extensions. If the class A
extends class B, what are the requirements for subtype relationships?
It seems that A must be a subtype of B, type-wise, so it makes sense to
restrict that for annotations as well. In order to allow supertype-style
annotations, such as @ReadOnly, annotations would need to be implictly
added to every supertype. What is the exact specification, both for Javari
and the framework, here?

-Telmo