[Checkers] Subtypes of Interned classes

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 21 13:16:16 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been investigating the bug that Mike has reported about
Pastry.  I assume that they were about NodeHandle not being annotated
as Interned by default, hence getting a method override exception
(along with a lot of false warnings):
     [javac] /Users/mahmood/pastry/src/rice/pastry/client/
PastryAppl.java:372: getHint() in <anonymous
rice.pastry.client.PastryAppl$1> cannot override getHint() in
rice.p2p.commonapi.MessageReceipt; attempting to use an incompatible
return type
     [javac] found   : rice.pastry.NodeHandle
     [javac] required: @checkers.quals.Interned
rice.p2p.commonapi.NodeHandle
     [javac]       public NodeHandle getHint() {

It seems to me that the problem was due to InternedChecker not
assuming that the subtype of an interned is interned.

There are two NodeHandle: rice.pastry.NodeHandle (which is not
annotated as Interned) and rice.p2p.common.api.NodeHandle. When the
take the base of rice.pastry.NodeHandle as
rice.p2p.common.api.NodeHandle we get one without the Interned.

This comes back to the question of default annotations. I don't think
that I will be able to fix this in this release (unless it is a hack).

- Mahmood