[Checkers] Eclipse Plugin (sorry)

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 13:03:53 EDT 2008

Hi Adam,

I agree with all of your comments.  However, my __personal__ top
priority with get the plug-in to work on Mac, which requires it to be
compiled with Java 5.  While I was able to make the Checker Framework
source Java 5 compatible, once run, I would get weird errors like:

Poly.java:66: compiler message file broken:
key=compiler.err.proc.messager arguments=incompatible types.
found   : String
required: @PolyEncrypted String, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}, {6}, {7}
             return "m";  // invalid
                    ^
warning: compiler message file broken:
key=compiler.warn.proc.unmatched.processor.options
arguments=[notextmsg], {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}, {6}, {7}
6 errors

That's why I desire no compilation dependancies between the plug-in on
neither javac.jar or checkers.jar.

> This is fine but makes for brittle code because you need to hard wire
> the class name.
Agreed.  We already experience some hardship when we changed the
checkers names.  Hopefully, we'll find a better solution.

> I think global variables are not great. They are opaque and make
> things not self-contained.
Agreed.  Ideally, we would have a plug-in properties that users can
set along with Eclipse Preferences or Project Preferences.

However, I needed to change it to use a global variable.  The plug-in
uses the system property 'java.home' which points to Java 5 (the same
VM running Eclipse).  I needed to be able to set it to run the
accompanied javac script to run java 7.

- Mahmood