[Checkers] Testing Approach Proposal

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 10:11:22 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

Currently we cannot do any unit testing due to the way the compiler
works. I have been thinking about this lately, and came up with two
approaches.  Both approaches require an input java file
(consider one specified as 'class Test { void test()
{ Lists.asList("m", "n"); } }').  We can do one of the following:

1. Using textual expected type.
The checker tester would specify in a different file the expected type
for some trees and their corresponding types.  To test the Interned
Checker, one would specify
test():Lists.asList("m", "n")		List<@Interned String>		// only check
Lists.asList() within method test
*:List.asList("m", "n")			List<@Interned String>		// check
List.asList() within all methods

This is a very limiting test, as it would only test
AnnotatedTypeFactory.getAnnotatedType().  However, implementing this
approach is somewhat straight-forward and takes care of a lot of the
cases.

2. A specialized visitor in code
We could have a specialized test suite.  To test the previous case one
would write something along the lines:
class MyTest extends SpecializedTest {
   AnnotatedTypeFactory createFactory(ProcessingEnvironment env,
CompilationUnitTree root) {
     return new InternedAnnotatedTypeFactory(env, root);
   }

   @TestForTree("*:List.asList("m", "n")")
   void testTypeInference(Tree tree) {
     AnnotatedTypeMirror type = factory.getAnnotatedType(tree);
     assertEquals(type.toString(), "List<@Interned String>");
   }
}

SpecializedTest class would have a specialized tree visitor that
invoke the test method for tree found in TestForTree.  A method would
only be called on the tree specified in @TestForTree.

This allows for greater testing as one can "unit" test any they like,
without too much boilerplate code.

What do you think?

- Mahmood