[JSR308] Release 0.9 of javac, Checker Framework, and checkers

Mahmood Ali mahmood at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 16 11:22:23 EDT 2009

We have released version 0.9 of the JSR 308 specification and
implementation and of the Checker Framework.  You can always review
the latest version of the specification at: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/pag/jsr308/specification/java-annotation-design.html
; and download the latest version of these tools at:http://groups.csail.mit.edu/pag/jsr308/
.

The JSR 308 implementation is a backward-compatible extension to
javac. The Checker Framework makes it easy to write a tool that finds
or prevents errors; the tool is expressed as a type-checker for a
pluggable type system.  The Checker Framework distribution includes
sample checkers.

This release includes some more space and performance optimizations
along with some bug fixes.  Also, this release has incompatible
changes with previous releases:
   - a new compiler command-line flag '-XDTAannotationsincomments' is
added.  The prototype would only parse annotations in comments if the
flag is present.
   - the flag '-Xspacesincomments' is renamed to '-
XDTAspacesincomments'.

Also, I am happy to announce that we are actively working on
integrating our prototype in the code base of the upcoming jdk7.

The changlogs of the specification and the implementations appear below.

   - Mahmood

---- Changelog for JSR 308 implementation ----
Version 0.9, 16 Mar 2009

Functionality
   Renamed compile commandline options:
     - -XDTAannotationsincomments  to parse annotations in comments
     - -Xspacesincomments -> -XDTAspacesincomments

Bug fixes
   Fixed bugs related to vararg annotations

Base build
   Updated to OpenJDK langtools build b54

---- Changelog for Checker Framework ----

Version 0.9, 16 Apr 2009

Framework
   More space and performance optimizations
   Handle raw type with multiple type var level
     e.g. class Pair<X, Y extends X> { ... }

Manual
   Improve installation instructions
   Update references to command line arguments