[JSR308] How to do getAnnotation in Tree structure ?

Chester Chen CChen at ascentmedia.com
Thu Dec 18 12:07:26 EST 2008

I was looking at the Tree class in Javac and hoping to find something something similar to

Element class's getAnnotation();

    /**
     * Returns this element's annotation for the specified type if
     * such an annotation is present, else {@code null}.  The
     * annotation may be either inherited or directly present on this
     * element.
     *
     * <p> The annotation returned by this method could contain an element
     * whose value is of type {@code Class}.
     * This value cannot be returned directly:  information necessary to
     * locate and load a class (such as the class loader to use) is
     * not available, and the class might not be loadable at all.
     * Attempting to read a {@code Class} object by invoking the relevant
     * method on the returned annotation
     * will result in a {@link MirroredTypeException},
     * from which the corresponding {@link TypeMirror} may be extracted.
     * Similarly, attempting to read a {@code Class[]}-valued element
     * will result in a {@link MirroredTypesException}.
     *
     * <blockquote>
     * <i>Note:</i> This method is unlike others in this and related
     * interfaces.  It operates on runtime reflective information &mdash;
     * representations of annotation types currently loaded into the
     * VM &mdash; rather than on the representations defined by and used
     * throughout these interfaces.  Consequently, calling methods on
     * the returned annotation object can throw many of the exceptions
     * that can be thrown when calling methods on an annotation object
     * returned by core reflection.  This method is intended for
     * callers that are written to operate on a known, fixed set of
     * annotation types.
     * </blockquote>
     *
     * @param <A>  the annotation type
     * @param annotationType  the {@code Class} object corresponding to
     *		the annotation type
     * @return this element's annotation for the specified annotation
     *         type if present on this element, else {@code null}
     *
     * @see #getAnnotationMirrors()
     * @see java.lang.reflect.AnnotatedElement#getAnnotation
     * @see EnumConstantNotPresentException
     * @see AnnotationTypeMismatchException
     * @see IncompleteAnnotationException
     * @see MirroredTypeException
     * @see MirroredTypesException
     */
    <A extends Annotation> A getAnnotation(Class<A> annotationType);

I couldn't find something similar on Tree, is there an reason for this ?

Obviously, this is a question for Sun, but I thought you might know some background information.

Chester