[JSR308] annotations as arguments to annotations

Joseph D. Darcy Joe.Darcy at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 8 03:07:16 EST 2007

Hello.

Jonathan Aldrich wrote:
> Dear JSR 308 team,

Catching up on email...

[snip]

> I'm really curious about why this feature  was not supported in the
> original spec; it seems like an "obvious" extension but perhaps the
> developers of JSR 175 didn't see the compelling benefits for
> representing type refinement systems, or were uncertain about whether
> it might cause implementation issues.  If anyone has insight I'd be
> interested to hear it.

The initial goals for JSR 175 were about addressing "... a growing trend
towards annotating fields, methods, and classes as having particular
attributes that indicate they should be processed in special ways by
development tools, deployment tools, or run-time libraries."
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175)  The use cases under
consideration were squarely aimed at easing EE programming, not on
enabling features like optional type systems.

-Joe