[JSR308] JSR 308 documents and tools released

Brian Goetz brian at quiotix.com
Sat Jul 7 01:34:42 EDT 2007

>> How about sending a patch that fixes these things?  (Even if you don't
>> like
>> the syntax, you could easily make the fixes that don't have to do with
>> the
>> parser; but we would gladly accept parser fixes as well.)  That would
>> be a
>> great way for you to make a productive contribution to JSR 308.
>
> Neal has already made such a contribution, by clearly detailing specific
> issues with the current specification and implementation drafts.  I am
> concerned that his concerns are not taken as seriously as they should
> be, as your comment implies.

I have to agree with Tom here, and I too find the degree to which Neal's
concerns have been met with what seems like a brush-off is disturbing.
We've all been tempted to say "If you don't like what I've done, how
about you contribute something?", but such challenges are really more
appropriate for gadflies and troublemakers, of which Neal is neither (at
least not on this subject.)

To reiterate Tom's point, Neal has already made a substantial and
productive contribution by identifying aspects that are both technically
problematic and which could interfere with acceptance of the EG's
recommendation.  It is clear he has spent substantial time reviewing the
problem and the proposed solution.  These are extremely high-value
contributions, and we would all be better served if they were recognized
as such.