[JSR308] Full list of locations for annotations

Neal Gafter gafter at google.com
Sun Feb 25 20:18:13 EST 2007

On 2/25/07, Michael Ernst <mernst at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Trevor-
>
> > > Possibly supported (under current discussion)
> > >  * statements
> > > Definitely not supported:
> > >  * blocks and/or loops (as a restricted special case of statements)
> > >  * partial constructs (such as only the body of a loop)
> >
> > Just to make this clear, we're still considering loop annotations,
> > but they'd be treated as a kind of statement? In other words, we're
> > either going to support both simple statements and loops or we're not
> > going to support either one, correct?
>
> Yes.  In my view, permitting annotations only on blocks and/or loops is
> less general than permitting annotations on statements, for no obvious
> gain
> in simplicity.  (But if I've misread the sense of the community, I ask
> that
> others correct me, and we can resurrect that proposal.)

The gain in simplicity may only be obvious once we start considering how to
do it in a syntactically unambiguous way.  I don't think that we can rule
out a block-only solution until we've explored the design space and found at
least one general solution to supporting annotations on arbitrary
statements.