[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Sun Feb 4 18:57:20 EST 2007

>   I am not arguing that agile is gaining popularity and its adoption is
> increasing. It just there are developers who don't want to learn new
> stuff and those don't go to the conferences and don't take courses. This
> is of course speculation, so as measuring state of the average Joe
> developer based on impression on the conference attendees. :-)

Those Joes are also the ones who don't download the latest JDK until they're
told to do so by their boss or technical leads, and probably still haven't
upgraded off of JDK 1.4 yet, either. I'm not as worried about them, as
they're (a) not as likely to use whatever we create, and (b) not as likely
to care about code clarity as others.

As to what percentage they represent vs the conference attendees, that of
course is widely open to interpretation and really irrelevant, I think.

>   I completely agree with that and been trying to provide with examples
> that would of benefit from such additions to the language.

And I think it's fair to say that this is a purely subjective viewpoint that
many of us will disagree with--unanimous agreement is an unlikely target,
but majority agreement should be targeted (IMHO).

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com