[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Sat Feb 3 16:53:18 EST 2007

>   Ted, do agree with you that it is better practice to write less
> comments. Unfortunately it is still less then common practice and
> unfortunately we can't say that "agilist" fraction represent big part of
> "many developers".

Well, certainly my anecdotal experience from conference attendees and class
participants would suggest that this percentage is larger than you're making
it seem. Agile is having a pretty large impact on the developer community as
a whole, and even if a team doesn't pronounce themselves as "agile", they're
adopting a lot of agile practices.

>   Anyways, as you pointed out, there is a movement to write less
> comments because they are getting out of sync. That would also help
> tools like JML, that are heavily comment based, only because they have
> no other choice at the moment. So, tools like that would benefit from
> the structurized information semantically linked to the code.

But we're losing sight of the main point, which was, once again, code
clarity and readability. We do not want to enable annotations on various
language constructs simply because we "can", but because the gain in power
and expression will offset the added linguistic complexity.

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com