[JSR308] Annotation processing (JSR 269) and AST representation

Michael Ernst mernst at csail.mit.edu
Sat Feb 3 10:14:54 EST 2007

> I believe we need to look at
> com.sun.source.tree and related APIs, and think about how we want to extend
> them in parallel with the language.

Yes.  The current proposal says:

  The JSR-269 annotation processing API must be modified so that the process
  method (currently invoked only on class, field, and method annotations) is
  also invoked on annotations on typecasts, receivers, type arguments, and
  local variables. Additionally, the Tree API, which exposes the AST
  (including annotations) to authors of compile-time plug-ins, must be
  updated to reflect the modifications made to the internal AST node classes
  described in section 3.

We have implemented all these changes in the JSR 308 reference compiler,
which we plan to release in February.  That implementation will give a
starting point for discussions and improvements.