[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Sat Feb 3 03:44:09 EST 2007

The comment that ...

"Currently it is quite possible (and in fact, many developers do that) to
document code using huge comments, including class and method javadocs, as
well as block and line comments even inside method body. Does it make code
hard to find? Probably yes. Does it help user to read the code? Probably
yes. Strangely, no one think that those comments do clutter source code."

... quite honestly, is not true! People DO think that those comments clutter
source code. In fact, the agilists among us would have you write *fewer*
comments, in order to help make the code more clearly understood (more
self-documenting, as it were), and therefore, unnecessary to comment!
(Martin Fowler, "Refactoring") And it's been well-documented for years that
"comment entropy" sets in very quickly without an aggressive policy of
keeping comments in sync with changing code, so programmers are, in fact,
becoming leery of "too much" commenting.

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com