[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals? (Google comment on the review ballot)

Neal Gafter gafter at google.com
Sat Feb 3 03:39:58 EST 2007

I worked with Joshua Bloch to craft that response. And I'd like to express
the concern that led JSR175 not to record local variable annotations in the
class file: the structure of the bytecode in the class file does not
correspond in any reliable way to the structure of the source code. For such
annotations in the class file to be useful to more than a few tools, more
information about the structure of the program is required. Saying that it
is "good enough" for one or another specific purpose would result in a
specification that is only "good enough" for one or two purposes over the
next few years, and then the whole thing will want an overhaul as new use
cases arise. That would be a waste of our time.

If recording the annotations (on local variables, for example) in the class
file is desireable, then the structure of the bytecode should be revised to
enforce a 1-to-1 mapping from source code. One way to achieve that is to
record a (possibly desugared) parse tree instead of the sequence of
instructions. In other words, overhaul the bytecode specification. Simple
languages like lisp and smalltalk are ideally suited to this approach, and
Java's complexity gets in the way, but the bytecode-instruction-range
apprach has severe limitations that will just get in the way of making much
sense of the data in the byte code.

I said it in private mail to a couple of participants, and I'll say it
again: to determine how the data is to be represented in the class file, we
should start with the modifications we want to the reflection, mirror, or
other APIs where this data is to be made available. Possibly we should build
off the com.sun.source.tree APIs, which are used to represent the structure
of the whole program (including statements and types) and are available
inside the annotation processor.  In other words, we should keep our heads
out of the bytecode gutter, because it is in the platform's best interest
that we avoid making it more brittile.

For the source code (language) changes, we should identify which
semantically meaningful nonterminals we want to support annotations on, and
specify them by modifying the grammar. We should also remain aware that,
given the structure of the Java language, we will likely require a distinct
solution for every such nonterminal. That means that our "solution" will
appear to be (and will actually be) a collection of distinct and unrelated
hacks for different language constructs, having only in common that they
specify annotations using the @ syntax. The final result will not be any
better than a result from the incremental approach (which has been
characterized as an ongoing stream of feature requests, which at least has
the advantage that we'll only get into the language the things we find are
actually needed).

Finally, I should note that the Google vote was a strong endorsement of
supporting additional source annotation locations, but only cautious support
for exploring the possibility of recording them in the class file.