[JSR308] Can we agree on our goals?

Ted Neward ted at tedneward.com
Fri Feb 2 01:24:28 EST 2007

There's also clearly a readability issue here. Annotations everywhere
means... annotations everywhere. Using two or three different sets of
annotations together in a single program could really quickly make
"annotation hell". We're assuming throughout this discussion in our examples
that only one set of annotations will be in play, but it doesn't take a lot
of imagination to come up with a couple of sets that could easily be used
simultaneously. Reducing the number of places an annotation can be applied
will (I hope) reduce the potential for unreadable code.

As an exercise, during the JSR 175 discussions I took a moment and wrote up
a class that put an annotation in every possible place an annotation could
go, and judged how it all looked when done. It was a bit cluttered, but
since annotations neatly fit into every place a modifier sat, it sort of
made sense and still seemed readable. I'd strongly suggest we do something
similar (formally or informally), just to make sure we get a clear view of
what we're creating.

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing